Mary Goodnight is a fictional inexperienced field operative and the main Bond Girl in the 1974 James Bond film The Man with the Golden Gun. Portrayed by Swedish actress Britt Ekland, Goodnight is based on the literary character who appeared in several Ian Fleming's novels.
Mary Goodnight is a Secret Service staffer, more ditzy than in the novels, who assists James Bond when he is following Andrea Anders in Hong Kong. Very quickly it is established that she has as-yet unfulfilled desires toward Bond.
- Bond: "Now, Goodnight, would I do that to you? [Speaking of cheating on her.]"
- Goodnight: "Yes, James, you bloody well would!"
After Goodnight shows Bond where Miss Anders is staying, she hopes to spend the evening with Bond, but 007 declines, as he has his meeting with Hai Fat. Goodnight later avoids Bond's advances, as she sees that he just has pity on her.
Her playing hard to get doesn't last long, and goes to meet Bond in his room anyway. She is then embarrassingly pushed into the wardrobe of Bond's hotel room when Miss Anders enters Bond's bedroom. Goodnight falls asleep in the closet as Anders and Bond have sex; after Anders leaves, Bond wakes Goodnight and condescendingly tells her "Your turn will come, I promise." After this event, Goodnight becomes cold in her attitude towards Bond, particularly when interacting with him in Scaramanga's presence.
- Goodnight: "(after being asleep in the wardrobe for two hours.) What time is it?"
- Bond: "Twoish."
- Goodnight: "Two? You mean I've been asleep in there for two hours?"
- Bond: "I was just finishing business."
- Goodnight: "Business? I'm resigning in the MORNING!"
At the meeting point with Miss Anders, Goodnight takes control of the Solex, but whilst placing a homer on Francisco Scaramanga's AMC Matador, she is pushed into the car's boot (trunk) by Scaramanga himself. On Scaramanga's island, Goodnight becomes Scaramanga's new mistress and is forced to wear a bikini at all times to prevent her from carrying concealed weapons, and to bypass Q's trackers that had been sewn into all of Goodnight's clothing. She is offered all the luxuries the island has to offer as she spends the next few days sunbathing, swimming, dining with Scaramanga but also endures harassment from the maintenance man, Kra. One day she is ordered to eat lunch with Scaramanga and to her surprise and delight, Bond has arrived on the island. During the meal, Goodnight compliments Scaramanga's hospitality with a bitter tone while glaring at Bond, hinting to him that she blames him for her imprisonment and humiliation. She then quickly becomes worried when Scaramanga challenges Bond to a duel.
During the duel of the two, Goodnight is guarded by Kra. Eventually, she senses an opportunity to escape and knocks him into a pool of liquid helium. Following Scaramanga's defeat, Bond and Goodnight are reunited. Bond retrieves the Solex and the two manage to escape and after dealing with Nick Nack, Goodnight manages to finish what she started with Bond aboard Scaramanga's personal Chinese Dhow (slow boat from China).
- Mary Goodnight is the Bond girl to spend the longest amount of screen time in a bikini.
- Mary Goodnight is also one of the only Bond girls to reject Bond's advances (even if its only brief). The fact this was the first woman to do so was cleverly helped by having the extras in the scene conveniently applaud at the line for something in the background.