The Living Daylights (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) was a soundtrack composed and performed by John Barry and the National Philharmonic Orchestra for the 1987 James Bond film of the same name. The film's eponymous theme song was sung by A-ha and written in collaboration with Barry. The album was released on vinyl, compact disc and cassette by Warner Bros. Records on 11th May 1987 and was subsequently re-released with 8 additional tracks by Rykodisc on 9th June 1998 and EMI Records on 11th February 2003.
The soundtrack for The Living Daylights was composed by veteran Bond composer John Barry and was his last score for a James Bond film.
The title song for the film, "The Living Daylights," was recorded by pop group a-ha. a-ha and Barry did not collaborate well, resulting in two versions of the theme song being produced; Barry's orchestral film version can be heard on the soundtrack and the a-ha greatest hits collection Headlines and Deadlines, while a-ha's preferred pop mix of the song can be heard on their 1988 album Stay on These Roads. However, in recent years members of a-ha have expressed their appreciation for Barry's work on their song, claiming that it was he who turned the track into a Bond theme.
Two other songs were provided for the film by The Pretenders, who had also originally been considered for the title theme, before the success of Duran Duran's "A View to a Kill" led producers to select a-ha in the hope of repeated chart success.
The OST album was released in 1987 on vinyl, compact disc and cassette. While all three mediums contained the same twelve songs (combined run-time of 35 minutes), by technical necessity vinyl and cassette versions split the tracks equally between their "A" and "B" sides. A decade later, when the soundtrack was remastered on compact disc, eight previously unreleased tracks were added (13-21).
- "The Living Daylights" – Performed by A-ha (4:14 - 4:16)
- "Necros Attacks" (2:00 - 2:04)
- "The Sniper Was A Woman" (2:27 - 2:30)
- "Ice Chase" (4:00 - 4:05)
- "Kara Meets Bond" (2:43 - 2:47)
- "Koskov Escapes" (2:20 - 2:23)
- "Where Has Everybody Gone?" – Performed by The Pretenders (3:33 - 3:37)
- "Into Vienna" (2:44 - 2:50)
- "Hercules Takes Off" (2:12 - 2:17)
- "Mujahadin And Opium" (3:09 - 3:13)
- "Inflight Fight" (3:08 - 3:12)
- "If There Was a Man" – Performed by The Pretenders (2:44 - 2:54)
- "Exercise At Gibraltar" (6:22)
- "Approaching Kara" (2:21)
- "Murder At The Fair" (2:22)
- "'Assassin' and Drugged" (2:43)
- "Airbase Jailbreak" (4:37)
- "Afghanistan Plan" (3:34)
- "Air Bond" (1:46)
- "Final Confrontation" (1:58)
- "Alternate End Titles" (3:20)
- As of 2020 "The Living Daylights" is the only James Bond film where the title song has not been performed by a British or American artist.