Universal Pictures (also known as Universal Studios) is an American film studio owned by Comcast through the Universal Filmed Entertainment Group division of its wholly owned subsidiary NBCUniversal. Founded in 1912 by Carl Laemmle, Mark Dintenfass, Charles O. Baumann, Adam Kessel, Pat Powers, William Swanson, David Horsley, Robert H. Cochrane, and Jules Brulatour, it is the oldest surviving film studio in the United States. Its studios are located in Universal City, California, and its corporate offices are located in New York City. On 23rd May 2018, it was confirmed that Universal had won the rights to internationally distribute No Time To Die.
Following the 2015 release of Spectre, Sony Pictures Entertainment's four-film contract to market and distribute the James Bond films officially expired. While MGM and EON Productions are the studios responsible for producing the 007 movies neither of them is a distributor; hence necessitating a partnership with another studio that has that ability. Reportedly, Sony, Warner Bros, Annapurna, Fox and Universal were all pursuing distribution rights to the franchise, valued at between $2bn and $5bn (£1.5bn-£3.8bn), according to Hollywood Reporter. Notably, MGM and EON were only offering a one-film contract to the victor. On 23rd May 2018, it was confirmed that Universal had won the rights to internationally distribute Bond 25, with MGM releasing the film in the United States through a partnership with Annapurna Pictures.
- ↑ Lieberman, David. "Comcast Completes Acquisition Of GE’s 49% Stake In NBCUniversal." Deadline Hollywood (March 19, 2013)
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 "Universal Wins International Rights to James Bond 25", Variety, May 23rd 2018.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 "Five Studios’ Mission: Winning the Distribution Rights to James Bond", New York Times, April 20th 2017.
- ↑ "The Stakes Behind The James Bond Rights Auction As Warner Bros And Others Try To Win 007’s Loyalties From Sony", Deadline, 7 May 2016.
- ↑ "New James Bond Movie Sets 2019 Release Date, But Not Much Else", Deadline, July 24, 2017.